Monday, November 9, 2009

Homemade Vegtable Beef Soup

My Mom has some awesom recipes, but this is one of my favorites.  I love how hearty, homey, and deliscious this soup is.  Everytime I make it I remeber some event that we had it at.  On the first snow day of the year, or any other number of times we had this.  It's perfect if your family is all over the place, we called it a "grazing" food.  My mom would put it on at lunch time and whenever we had time for dinner 6:00 before practice or 8:00 after practice, this is a great way to eat home cooked, without having to compromise on time. If you are weary of leaving the stove on low while you aren't there or right in the kitchen, you can use a crock pot once the beef is browned.  I browned the beef in this pot and added the ingredients from there.

I have made a few tweeks because I can't seem to help myself...

1 1/2 pounds 93/7 ground beef. (You can use turkey if you want something healthier)
1 14oz. can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 package Liptons Beefy onion soup mix (this can be found in the soup aisle, in a blue box)
2 cups water
3 cans swansons beef broth
1 Medium onion
3 large Potatoes (I used baking potatoes and skinned them)
2 carrots (or a handful of little ones)
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen green beans
1/2 cup frozen lima beans

Brown Hamburger.  Drain excess grease off.
Mix Hamburger, Tomatoes, Water, Beefy Onion Soup Mix, Beef Broth together.
Dice Onion, Potatoes and Carrots.  Add to mix
Bring to a boil over medium heat
Turn heat to medium low,for four hours
Add frozen vegtables, cook for another 2 hours
Add salt and pepper as desired.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Comments, It feeds my soul...